Harmonia

A Forum for and the Background of the Mediation of Dialogue in Ancient and Modern Academies

Saturday 18 October 2014

Oliver Jones' Trio. At Home in London.

Thanks to a good friend's advice, I start feeling at home in London Ontario. This happened yesternight: definitely not with Shakespeare, but with jazz music played by a famous Canadian, Oliver Jones, and his wonderful band, at the Aeolean Hall. "When Summer Comes" still lingers in my memory, while I am turning to the Epicurean and Stoic cures for my class on Tuesday.

At the University, I knew I would feel at home, which is the case, very warmly welcomed by all the good colleagues and friendly people here, and so in love with what I am doing in all possible contexts. Just finished an ancient philosophy intensive course (really intensive course). What I left aside in this course, namely, scepticism, I highlight in the history of philosophy course. The fall is changing its colours, generously enriching our sight before the white will bring the heaven closer to earth again.

PS: There is a marvellous version of "When Summer Comes" in Oliver Jones featuring Josée Aidans "Just for my Lady", but I loved the version the three played for us on stage.

Another piece, by Jones and Trio, "Summertime" (skip the ad, if you please): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R89f0J8u_fU



PPS: I will never risk experiencing Shakespeare on this side of the ocean again, unless it's some Irish spirit directing the whole endeavour, be it Branagh or Day-Lewis; but I will try some Williams and other playwrights whenever is possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home